Funding now available through the Electric Vehicles for Municipalities Program
Municipalities now have access to funding through the Municipal Climate Change Action Centre (MCCAC) to introduce electric vehicles to municipal fleets. Alberta communities can save energy, costs and reduce emissions with the Electric Vehicles for Municipalities (EVM) program. Rebates are available for feasibility studies, charging stations and electric vehicles.
Why Electric Vehicles for Municipalities?
Municipalities fleet vehicles have high operating costs and can significantly benefit from increased energy efficiency.Thisfunding program will help municipalities transition their fleet vehicles towards emissions-free and more fuel-efficient options, such as battery electric vehicles (BEVs) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs).
Alldesignated municipalities within the province of Alberta are eligible to participate in the EVM program. Total funding for the EVM program is $4.6 million. Increasing electric vehicle adoption through the program will demonstrate the benefits of this technology and spread awareness of electric transportation in Alberta communities. Program funding distributed to a single municipality is capped at $500,000 across all EVM initiatives.
Eligible municipal projects include:
- The purchase or lease of Battery Electric Vehicles (BEVs) and Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEV):
- Passenger vehicles, such as electrically-propelled sedans, sport-utility vehicles (SUVs), or trucks.
- Medium or Heavy-Duty vehicles, such as electrically-propelled garbage trucks or box trucks.
- Low Speed, Non-Road vehicles, such as electrically-propelled ice resurfacing vehicles or utility task vehicles (UTVs).
- EV Charging Stations:Rebates for the equipment purchase and installation of Level 2 or higher EV charging stations on municipal facilities.
- EV Feasibility Studies:Rebates for an electric vehicle fleet feasibility study to inform the municipality of the financial and environmental impacts resulting from a potential transition to an electrically powered vehicle fleet.
Note: A Municipality may apply and complete an EVM Feasibility Study and apply again afterwards for vehicle and EV charger funding.
How to get involved?
Any resident of an Alberta municipality can share news about the launch of the EVM program with their local government representatives to inspire participation.